[mythtv-users] OT: LED or Plasma (was Advice on choosing a TV)

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue May 25 07:41:37 UTC 2010

Alasdair Macdonald wrote:
> On 24 May 2010 19:05, Paul Gardiner <paul at laser-point.co.uk> wrote:
>> Alasdair Macdonald wrote:
>>> I don't hear any unwanted noise at all coming from my screen.
>> Really?! Maybe mine is faulty. Have you tried playing a movie
>> with the sound muted? The sound I hear changes with the picture
>> movement. The sound comes from the back, so if you have something
>> soft behind the set that may damp it out. I have mine wall
>> mounted.
>
> If I mute, and put my ear close to the (now wall-mounted) screen, in 1
> or 2 positions I can make out quiet buzzes. If my ear is more than 6
> inches from the screen, I can't hear anything. I guess the wall is
> allowing any sound to multiply & bounce (not dampen) before it reaches
> my ear; I consider the hardware near-silent.

Mine seems to have quietened down now. I can still hear it but now
only if I mute the TV and strain to hear it. Weird! Maybe it's part
of burning in.

Hmmm, or maybe what I was hearing was very high volume ultrasonics,
and the TV has now wiped out that part of my hearing range!! - hmmm,
unlikely I suppose.

Paul.