[mythtv-users] google tv

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Mon May 24 14:01:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Simon Kiteley
<simonkiteley at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> I certainly wouldn't mind a Google-sponsored fork of the MythTV code
>> with the company's trademark focus on usability.
>>

> Totally agree. Lots of brilliant people have contributed to the development
> but it take a different kind of business mind to move quickly to something
> that is idea for every day use. I think MythTV has made impressive progress
> to this with the latest version but only a commercial 'type' approach will
> really focus on getting what is really needed rather than adding new cool
> features etc.

I'm not really sure where your "usability" issues are.  My 75+ year
old father uses MythTV without issue, and my 4 & 6 year old kids do as
well.  While it can be a little complicated to set up (though the wiki
and distributions like Mythbuntu and Mythdora make it very easy), it
seems that once set up, anyone can use it.  Can you describe what
"usability" issues you have, or other things that are "really needed"
that are lacking?

My own view is that I would rather have the devs spend their time
increasing the capability of MythTV ("adding new cool features")
rather than on making it so that my grandmother could set up master
and slave backends with 3 HD frontends all without knowing anything
about Linux or computers.  That is what a cable company's DVR is for.

George