[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 10.04 PPA for 0.23?

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Fri May 21 22:23:21 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:22 AM, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Dan <dansto.well+myth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't understand this, why do the *buntu repos seem to use version
>> numbers that do not reflect the actual version number (as they usually
>> do for all other packages)? The version is given as
>> "0.23.0+fixes24158-0ubuntu2" but in debian-land anything that is a
>> preview release should have a name starting with something like
>> "0.23.0~rc1". Otherwise you can't really tell what is *really* 0.23.0
>> and the sort order goes weird. Seems like they kinda rely on the
>> revision number (24158) rather than the release number to signify
>> what's really going on? Or am I misunderstanding?
>
> You ask some very good questions.  In my opinion the mythbuntu
> maintainers make very questionable choices (not just with the version
> numbers).  So I make it a point to keep their packages far away from
> my computers.  I'm sure they have the best intentions though.
>
> -Ryan

Howdy guys,

I believe that the strong preference would be to do exactly Dan
describes above.  And had there been a stable MythTV release handy,
I'm sure that is what would have happened.  And in fact, that was the
original plan - you'll recall that MythTV 0.23 was to be released in
early April, and they were actually on schedule through March, so the
decision was made to release Lucid/10.04 with 0.23.  Then a non-code
related issue came up that pushed the release out beyond mid-April,
when Lucid repo freeze occurs.

So, why not just put rc1 into the repo?  Well, there were a number of
important fixes that were committed after rc1.  Do you release to
Lucid with those known issues, or do you take a newer snapshot that
has some of them resolved?  The decision was to go for a newer, more
stable snapshot.  Maybe the string should have been +fixes24158+rc1 to
indicate it was post rc1.  But to be honest, does that really matter?
Maybe I"m wrong, but I'm not sure the majority of users *really* care
what the version string shows or means (be it rc or otherwise).

Of course, you could make the argument that Lucid should have just
been released with 0.22 since 0.23 wasn't gold yet.  But between the
lack of analog tuning combined with other major bug fixes that were
not backported to 0.22, I personally think going 0.23 was the right
choice, even if it wasn't gold.  Some of the myth devs also agreed
that going with pre-released 0.23 over 0.22 was the right decision.

Ryan, I think it is off-topic for this mailing list, but I'd love to
get an email from you off-list on what other choices you feel are
questionable - the Ubuntu (and Mythbuntu) teams are always trying to
improve.

Have fun!

   Marc