[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 10.04 PPA for 0.23?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri May 21 04:13:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 12:50 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
>> I feel kind of 'stuck' with them, things are working nicely now, but
>> would prefer to get off the upgrade cycle.
>
> Upgrade every two years is a problem?
>
>> The advertised as working 8.04 -> 10.04 upgrade entirely borked my
>> back end, luckily I had a database backup and all data safe.
>
> Was it Ubuntu's 8.04->10.04 that "borked" your database or was it the
> very much known and very much talked about 0.21->0.22 myth upgrade that
> "borked" your database?  i.e. would that have happened no matter what
> the distro.

I don't know if the database was borked by the upgrade, it may well
not have been. The simple matter is the machine wouldn't boot. I put
another smallish IDE disk in and did a new 10.04 install, then
restored the database from 0.21, then allowed 0.23 to update the
database. Then set up storage groups to the old data points. Then
fiddled with ownership and permission issues because user and group
ids had changed. Eventually it worked. I now have the advantage of the
database and OS being on a separate platter to recordings :)