[mythtv-users] MythNetvision

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri May 21 03:23:09 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 20:41 -0400, Doug Vaughan wrote:
> Having written most of the scripts that get content for the
> MythtvNetvision plug-in I feel you are underestimating the legal and
> technical issues in what you propose. All but a few sites restrict
> downloading their content.

Arguably "watching" is "downloading".  It's a very fine line and I am
sure content providers would love to dictate exactly how you watch their
content.  Big Media also wanted to dictate how you would watch content
when "recording" and "timeshifting" their content first because possible
with VCRs.  We all know how that turned out.  Big Media didn't get their
way because people were willing to push back and not just lie down and
take whatever Big Media wanted to dictate to them.

> A lot of the prime content such as TV
> episodes are only allowed to be streamed

Streamed right to my HDD.  I am complying.  :-)

> and then only in specific
> countries.

Yeah.  I know all about that one too.

> Downloading their content

But watching/streaming/whatever you want to call it is "downloading".

But I guess if we are going to just lie down like sheep and let them
dictate, it's not worth the distinction.

b.