[mythtv-users] MythTV frontend crashes with recordings that have a resolution change

Dave Hawkes daveh at cadlink.com
Fri May 21 01:27:53 UTC 2010

Hi all,

When recording via firewire from a set top box occasionally the channel
is changed within the first second or so of the recording due to delays
in the set top box. This appears to be a problem if the output
resolution switches from a standard to high definition when the
recording is played back. The first second or so before the switch is
played and then the MythTV frontend just crashes and exits.

Examining the mpg file produced shows that it does have multiple
resolutions in it and this appears to be a problem for most video
players except for VLC for some reason. I've tried many players on both
windows and linux and only VLC doesn't crash and plays back  flawlessly.

I'm wondering if there is some way to fix this other than attempting to
make VLC my default playback mechanism?

Thanks

Dave