[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 10.04 PPA for 0.23?

Dan dansto.well+myth at gmail.com
Thu May 20 21:58:20 UTC 2010

2010/5/20 Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com>:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Michael Knoll <michael.knoll at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Pete Ashdown <pashdown at xmission.com> wrote:
>>> Where might I find a package repository for Lucid containing 0.23 and
>>> associated plugins and themes?  Something that isn't updated every day with
>>> a daily build?
>>>
>> Isn't Ubuntu 10.04(Lucid)'s main repository at 0.23?
>>
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/mythtv
>
> Howdy Mike,
>
> Yes, but I believe the Lucid repo contains a snapshot that is between
> an rc1 and rc2 level.  Countless minor, major, and crash fixes went in
> after that, so it is understandable to me that people would want to
> update to something closer to "0.23 final".   The hope is that a new
> proposed release can be approved, put together, tested, and added to
> the repo before 10.04.1 occurs on July 29th.

I don't understand this, why do the *buntu repos seem to use version
numbers that do not reflect the actual version number (as they usually
do for all other packages)? The version is given as
"0.23.0+fixes24158-0ubuntu2" but in debian-land anything that is a
preview release should have a name starting with something like
"0.23.0~rc1". Otherwise you can't really tell what is *really* 0.23.0
and the sort order goes weird. Seems like they kinda rely on the
revision number (24158) rather than the release number to signify
what's really going on? Or am I misunderstanding?

Dan