[mythtv-users] Configure backend in command line

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Thu May 20 20:24:22 UTC 2010

2010/5/20 Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > VNC works as well, that's how I set up my last backend only machine. I
>> > already have the client installed on the Windows box I was using at the time
>> > and the server was faster to install than it would be to install cygwin/x.
>> > :)
>>
>> So, how can I setup the backend from SSH?
>>
>> I don't understand the reason to configure the backen with a GUI.
>>
>> Thanks and regards.
>>

> Please don't top-post.
>
> First, can you ssh from your desktop to your myth box?  If not then
> you first need to figure out how to get sshd running.  It's pretty
> easy so google will be your friend.
>
> Second, once you're able to "ssh my.myth.box" from your desktop, then
> all you have to do is add the -X parameter to ssh:
>
> ssh -X my.myth.box

Thanks for your info, I have SSH access, but I never use the -X
parameter on SSH, I will try it.

> Once you've logged in you might have to "su -" to root or the user
> that mythtv is running under and then run "mythtv-setup".  And the gui
> will show up on your desktop.

Which is the user that I must use to execute "mythtv-setup"? root? mythtv?

> This is a problem that the devs have talked about before and I believe
> the plan is to bundle a small http server inside of the backend and
> then configure it through the web instead of the GUI.  But don't quote
> me on that as I'm not a dev.

It has no sense to configure the backend with a GUI, I am not software
developer, but I configure lots of services (web, mail, ftp, p2p...)
and all of config are command-line based. I supose that there will be
a big reason to make this way.

Thanks and regards.

> --Ajay

Josu Lazkano