[mythtv-users] Two machines, one has pre-buffering, once doesn't

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Wed May 19 15:11:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Deyan wrote:

> Why not use the same network connection for the laptop, disable the
> wireless card and see if you still have an issue. Of course it could

Good idea. I didn't have any untranscoded recordings, so I set last night's
to not transcode and will check this tonight.

What I did do was install the Mini Speedtest from www.speedtest.net on my
backend. Based just on that, my wireless laptop sees a 30mbit connection,
and the wired backend sees 90mbit.

> be the network card that is the issue but then a simple file transfer
> should give you an idea. Some routers (all DD-WRT v24 ones have it)
> can also give near real-time network throughput so you can look at
> that and see what the maximum achieved throughput is. I had an issue
> with my wireless connection and testing showed that the throughput of
> my old 802.11n router was maxed out ~20 Mbps which led to occasional

Well based on the speedtest that's not my problem. In any acse remember, the
machine with the slower connection is the one that actually WORKS. :-)