[mythtv-users] easiest way to go from storage groups internal player to mplayer

Scott Russell list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Tue May 18 12:03:36 UTC 2010

On May 17, 2010, at 7:15 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Just because code is written doesn't mean keeping it costs nothing.  In order to improve MythTV and plugins, we need to get rid of some of the dead weight/baggage that's holding back progress.  At least, that's my perspective.  (And I haven't even mentioned the increased complexity of configuration for users and the increased difficulty in helping users troubleshoot issues and figuring out the configuration the users were using when they encounter issues and ...)

Code reduction is a good thing and Internal player has improved significantly in quality since in 0.23-fixes since I first tried it in 0.21. However, my personal yardstick is how well it does with DVD navigation (playback is typically glitch free in 0.23-fixes) and in this area Internal player still crashes more frequently than Xine.

In addition to bringing additional features to Internal player (like storage group support) I would hope an extended QA campaign would be undertaken to eliminate many of likely to still exist corner cases Internal player has.

Something along the lines of...

1) A developer announcement of when the targeted release where Internal player will go away.
2) A community request for additional testing of Internal player
3) Guidance on the exact logs to collect with each bug report. (eg, FE, BE, or both? Which log levels? The best way to share large logs?)
4) Developers focused on giving priority to Internal player bugs

-- Scott