[mythtv-users] Dish HDPVR Sound Sync Script

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Mon May 17 04:20:59 UTC 2010

I've been using the following script to control a dish VIP211K
STB. The problem I had was the sound sync going off by several
seconds during an hour show. Believe it or not, if I run the following
at 4 in the morning after the dish box updates itself at 3,
the sound stays in sync for recordings or live tv made that day.
If it is not run, sound sync drifts off on recordings the next day.
I also had to switch to PCM only output from the STB. I left the
HDPVR with the latest firmware.

#!/bin/sh

DEVICE="-d /dev/lircd"
#DEVICE="-d /dev/lircd1"
#DEVICE="-a hostname:port"

# Use dish1, dish2 .. dish16 depending on which id you are using
# Every dish receiver can be assigned a different remote code, so
# that you can have multiple receivers in one room, and controlled
# by the same LIRC transmitter.

REMOTE_NAME=dish

# First, leave sleep mode..
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME select
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME menu
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME 6
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME 7
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME left
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME left
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME down
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME right
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME right
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME select
sleep 1.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME left
sleep 1.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME select
sleep 1.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME 7
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME left
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME left
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME up
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME right
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME right
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME select
sleep 1.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME left
sleep 1.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME select
sleep 1.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME 0
sleep 0.5
irsend $DEVICE SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME 0
sleep 0.5

The above script switches the STB to 720p and back to 1080i, leaving
it as it started. Should not do anything, but seems to work, so far
at least.

Mark