[mythtv-users] VDPAU Error: Failed to create output surface on acer (revo) 1600

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 17 00:48:30 UTC 2010

On Sunday 16 May 2010 06:09:36 pm Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> > of your other inputs will default to an oversaturated mess as that's
> > what TV makers know will appeal to the masses.
>
> Bleah.  I can't imagine who would like this much over-saturation.

You'd be surprised. In a past epoch I worked for a cable TV outfit. Most
subscribers had their sets horribly mis-adjusted, way too much chroma and
contrast being the most common problem. The dynamic range was crushed to
almost nothing, it might as well have been 8-bit color, everything was smashed
at both ends of the range.

Initially I tried to "help" these people by adjusting their sets properly, but
most of them got very upset, they liked it the way it had been.

I finally learned to just leave people to their visual misery, they do indeed
seem to like it.

Research also shows that most people like too much red, and "Matrix"
corrections existed on many professional monitors that tried to give you a
small taste of what it probably looked like on a home TV set.

Non-technical people also tend to look mostly at flesh tones, it's been shown
that you can get away with a blue banana if the faces look anywhere close to
correct.

Much of this may stem from the early days of color TV. Flesh tones were hard
to get right, so people thought of them as some sort of quality test, "weak
color" was caused by not buying an expensive enough set :-)

Perhaps as the generation that witnessed the birth of color disappears things
will get better.