[mythtv-users] UK HDHomeRun+MythTV Success Stories

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Sun May 16 19:40:19 UTC 2010

On 16 May 2010 19:46, T.J. Crowder <tj at crowder.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Another Sillyname
> <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> The Hauppauge HVR 2200 is a dual tuner PCI-E card that works fine
>> under 'nix.  I know because I use one.
>
> Right (I mentioned it too). I'm trying to steer clear of cards, though.
>
> Speaking of the 2200: There's no RC support, right? I don't know Myth,
> but I'm guessing that's not a big deal, you just use another RC rather
> than Hauppauge's...right?
>
> -- T.J.

As I suggested the Hauppauge USB Nova DVB-T dual tuner works fine with
Myth, no bandwidth issues.  The only caveat I would make is the USB
get's a bit toasty under load and I would certainly recommend using it
with an external powered Hub to make sure it get's the full 500mw it
needs, often Mobos don't provide the full 500mw required to the USB
port and the Hauppauge needs the 500mw if you are using both tuners in
multirec mode - say 4 virtual tuners.  I've seen some USB GPS units in
the past use a 'port joiner' where they required 2 USB ports for the
1000mw power requirement but only use one port for the data
connection, I think you can buy cables that do this which means you
wouldn't need the external hub.  But even then I'd put a cooling fan
pointing at the USB tuner.