[mythtv-users] Pre-amp for Hauppauge 1600

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sun May 16 19:28:00 UTC 2010

On 05/16/10 01:06, Dave Day wrote:
<snip>
> But now with the SBGH, I haven't had even the slightest problem even
> though the SNR does briefly go down even to 2.1.  The pictures have been
> solid even down there.  I don't really understand that.

> So, I wonder if any of you all who have Hauppauge 1600s get SNRs above
> 2.4 ???

> And any thoughts on why with the SBGH the signal is good even with what
> before were pretty crappy SNR numbers.

What vintage and source are your drivers for the hvr-1600?  There was
some work done at the end of last year that drastically improved the SNR
of the digital side of the card.  I'm not actually using the digital
side on mine yet - merely fooling with it, but it took me from 1 noisy
channel (QVC) to a decent set of what's available.  There was also some
audio work done earlier this year.  I'm not sure how much of any of this
work made it into 2.6.33, or into your distros drivers.

I generally get my drivers straight from the v4l-dvb mercurial
repository, and am currently running a tarball dated Feb 20, 2010.

Dale Pontius