[mythtv-users] ClearQAM Gone Martinez CA 94553

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Sun May 16 17:37:21 UTC 2010

On 5/16/2010 12:26 PM, Matt W wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Simon Hobson<linux at thehobsons.co.uk>  wrote:
>
>> I suspect that it might have a slightly more noticeable effect if people
>> dumping Comcast (or any other similar outfit) were to write to the marketing
>> people of the channels they used to watch, and perhaps even the people
>> buying their commercial time. Stress that it's the obsoleting of perfectly
>> good (and in many cases new and expensive) equipment with built in cable
>> tuners in favour of ugly and inconvenient (expensively) rented tuners that
>> you object to - and to avoid getting dismissed as a geek, play the WAF, as
>> in "and my Wife didn't like all the extra remotes".
>
> Simon--that is a good idea, and you're on to something with the W/SAF
> pitch..otherwise I can see how fringe TV zealots like ourselves would
> be dismissed out of hand.  I think I'll do what you suggest.  I may
> casually forget to mention my MythTV setup and mention instead (like
> you said) the obsolescence of the QAM tuner in my Panasonic plasma
> that I just bought in January.  :-P

Even in the defines of the concept that ComCast is trying to plug up the corrupt installers and the bad tap audits, it doesn't make sense that they would want to have to inventory more stuff (All the DTA's and extra STB) they need to support the customer base.

Coupled with that, they STILL anger a lot of people who went out and bought equipment to use with their cable service (TiVo, Myth, Windows DVR's, TV's with QAM tuners) only to be left out in the cold.

Doesn't matter if the ComCast reps say, "but it's free" --- it's still a hassle.

Don't make it HARDER for people to enjoy using your product the way they want.

  -Ben