[mythtv-users] Potential hardware - or underpowered ?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun May 16 17:18:42 UTC 2010

At the local LUG yesterday, someone was showing
around his latest toy - a GuruPlug Server :
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-32-guruplug-server-plus.aspx
£86/$129

They also have the Standard unit :
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-31-guruplug-server-standard.aspx
£67/$99

And one with a display (HDMI) port on it :
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-33-guruplug-display.aspx
(no price yet)

At first I was thinking one of these would run a
backend as long as your requirements weren't too
demanding - but when I think a bit more, by the
time you've added a hard disk and power supply,
then it quickly becomes rather less attractive as
the cable count goes up.

But would the display version have enough power
to run as a frontend ? It's a 1.2G ARM based
processor, with a TDA9989 HDMI interface (spec
sheet says it supports 1080p) and no GPU. I'm
guessing this wouldn't be a high performance
setup !
Pity, I doubt you'd get a smaller and neater frontend.

--
Simon Hobson