[mythtv-users] does adjust fill work with vdpau?

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Sun May 16 03:24:47 UTC 2010

On 15 May 2010, at 20:38, "Brian J. Murrell" <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>
wrote:

> In 0.23, does adjust fill work with VDPAU?
>
> Given that decoding is done entirely in the video card (for MPEG2 and
> other files) can myth still give VDPAU instructions to scale up to
> half
> and full fill?

The fill/aspect ratio/zoom etc all work with VDPAU without issue.

> If adjust fill does work with VDPAU, my guess is that the "auto"
> mode of
> that doesn't work, since myth is no longer seeing the raw video
> frames,
> yes?  This would be a sad (but not devastating) loss.  I wonder if
> there
> is any hope in having nVidia agree that this is a great feature and
> adding it to VDPAU.

You're correct - with no direct access to the frame, MythTV cannot
currently detect the black borders and hence adjust the fill. It is
still technically possible to implement by reading the frame back into
main memory (and indeed someone did make an attempt at writing the
code some time ago) but it's an expensive operation transferring data
from video memory. I doubt nvidia  have much interest in it either -
it just doesn't fit well with the API and is arguably a fairly niche
feature.

Regards

Mark