[mythtv-users] Comcast in Massachusetts/New Hampshire area recently encrypted channels

MarcT myrdhn at gmail.com
Sat May 15 22:17:41 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Steven Adeff
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:33 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Comcast in Massachusetts/New Hampshire area

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 12:53 AM, MarcT <myrdhn at gmail.com> wrote:
> At some point this week Comcast started encrypting just over half of the
QAM
> channels that were previously in the clear.
>
> scte65scan shows that the lineup has not changed and that all the channels
> are still on the same multiplexes.
>
> A few of the channels now encrypted are SYFY and Comedy Central.

Here, in Boston, those channels were never in the clear over QAM,
always had to use the cable box. We also don't get ComCen in HD yet
either >:o

--
Steve

---------

Good point Steve. ComCen is not in HD yet.. but I was able to get it SD over
digital until sometime before Wednesday of this week. The switch may have
happened sooner than that, but that was the earliest SD channel that
recorded a 0 byte file.
What caused me to notice the issue was last night I almost missed Stargate:
Universe on SYFY. Lost power here at home a few mins after 10 last night
which made me check the status of the box and that the database ran a
repair. At that time I noticed that I had a few recordings that were 0
bytes.
I was able to setup to record on my Comcast rented DVR but due to the power
outage it had no lineups. I had to manually schedule a recording start and
end time. This is one of my favorite things about myth when compared to the
DVR I got from Comcast, if I unplug it, I don't lose all my channel lineups
and possibly a show I like to watch.
Also, last week Comcast had to swap out my DVR with a new one due to another
power outage that corrupted the firmware. Took them a week to replace it and
I lost all my recordings that were on it because they do not transfer.
Another thing Myth does better. But then in 5+ years I have never had myth
hardware fail me other than a drive in my raid array. The cable box that
went bad was a brand new Motorola DCX3400. It matched all my components in
my entertainment center, black with blue icons/text. I was promised the
exact same unit. Instead I got a DCH3416, silver with white icons/text.
Allegedly, they didn't have any of the other ones, but when the guy was here
to swap it out he met with another installer who took one of them out of the
back of the first guys truck and I clearly heard him say he was taking one
cause there were 6 in the truck.

MarcT