[mythtv-users] Distro for Asrock Nettop ION330Pro ?

Håkon Alstadheim hakon at alstadheim.priv.no
Fri May 14 20:46:51 UTC 2010

Hi all, just ordered an Asrock Nettop ION330Pro for a new Myth FE, and
I'm debating what distro to run on it. I'll be using the box for viewing
h264 content with AAC sound, (including some weird streams not
completely supported by current 0.23-fixes).

If I don't hear anybody tell me otherwise, I'll be installing gentoo
(using the wiki entries regarding Acer Aspire Revo R3600 / R3610 as a
starting-point). I'm open to being persuaded into running mythbuntu
however. Is the extra manual fiddling with gentoo worth the hopefully
more expedient access to bleeding edge fixes in video drivers and myth ?
I'm reasonably fluent in the gentoo way, so the extra fiddling won't
hurt THAT much  :-~.

Assuming I'll go with gentoo, would it be wise to stick with 32bit x86
in the kernel? The gentoo wiki entries for the Aspire Revo seem to
indicate that. The box will have only 2 gigs of ram after all. If
anybody has a kernel .config and a rationale for the choices made, I'd
be happy to see it, I guess there will be some small differences from
the Revos. For make.conf I guess I'll use the last suggestion from the
wiki for the atom 330:
<http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags/Intel#Atom_330>

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=core2 -mtune=generic -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mssse3 -mfpmath=sse"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

For myth I'm currently running 0.23-fixes by way of the mt-mythtv
overlay on an old box. I'll do the same on the Asrock nettop, and I
guess I'll want to enable ~x86 on the nvidia-drivers, but keep
everything else at stable? I've seen some talk of issues with HD content
on VDPAU, but i suppose the adage wrt. drivers is "the newer the better" ?