[mythtv-users] Problems with vdpau decoding HD content

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Thu May 13 20:42:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Scott <list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc> wrote:

> This is a general query to help me with my troubleshooting of a playback
> problem on my FE.
>
> I have an ASRock 330 ION loaded with Mythbuntu 10.04 and the 0.23-fixes SVN
> 24572. The system uses the VDPAU Normal profile and is configured for 512MB
> of GPU RAM in BIOS.
>
> Playback with both recorded 720p and 1080i (OTA ATSC from a HDHR) shows
> seems to run into a glitch. The show starts off fine and pausing, FF/RW, and
> commercial skip all work fine. At some point, usually 12-30 minutes, the
> video starts jumping and sometimes the audio too. I see "prebuffering pause"
> messages logged in mythfrontend.log.

Are you sure the ASRock is not overheating?  I had problems on my Zotac
ION-ITX Atom 230 board with passive cooling.  Any time I ran 1080i content
with a deinterlacer, it appears the GPU would scale back due to heat.  This
would cause the image to jerk, etc.

I ended up installing a small 40mm fan in the Mini-Box M350 case I am using
and I've not had jerky video since.  FYI, to my knowledge, only kernel
2.6.32 has the needed modules to check ION GPU and/or CPU temperature with
lm-sensors.

/Brian/