[mythtv-users] small black border around analog recording

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Wed May 12 14:45:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 8:33 PM, richard Woelk <richardwoelk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/11/2010 15:25, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>>
>> So, I got a plasma screen and am aware of the burn-in issues with it.
>> As such I opted for the "grey" pillar-box option for playing 4:3 content
>> as that's supposed to be the most friendly towards the issue.
>>
>> The problem is that my 4:3 recordings, from analog cable by way of a
>> PVR-{250,500} card still have a black border of 5-10 pixels around them,
>> most likely in what would normally be non-visible in the overscan area
>> on a traditional CRT.
>>
>> Is there any way I can expand the active area of the frame out to
>> eliminate this black border, or somehow otherwise get rid of it?  I
>> don't really want to change the aspect or size of the visible frame
>> (720x480), just expand, say the inner 700x470 out to 720x480,
>> effectively pushing the black border outside of the visible area.  Does
>> that explanation make any sense?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> b.
>>

> Brian,
>    I understand what you are saying. I have used a PVR-250 on a computer
> monitor in the past and have seen this exact problem. The thing is,
> broadcasters still make their content with the assumption that overscan will
> hide the garbage at the edges of the video, and do not worry about fixing
> it. I even see this on HD content, and there is a setting to manually cut
> this. Under settings/setup/tv settings/playback/General playback. Page 2
> shows vertical and horizontal scaling settings in %. This will stretch the
> recorded picture to the point where the garbage will be cut off. Since you
> are watching SD on a plasma screen, myth is already scaling the video for
> you, and extra 2 or 3% scaling will not be noticeable. I even have to put 2%
> vertical on my HD-PVR recordings as my STB puts a 10 pixel black line at the
> top of 1080i recordings.
>
> hope this helps
>
> - Richard

For the archives in case you've got the opposite issue:

My 50" Plasma Tv has a 'non defeatable 3% overscan' so I had to do
this in software.

I've added "nvidia-settings --load-config-only" to my ~\.profile and
then I edited my ~/.nvidia-settings-rc to include this line:

0/OverscanCompensation[DFP-0]=59

So after my xsession starts the nvidia-settings utility will load my
rc file and shrink my screen into view.

-Johnny