[mythtv-users] Storage Groups for Videos - does each host have to have mythbackend?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed May 12 07:14:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I currently have random collected video files on three machines. One
>> only (media) is the master (and only) backend on my network. The
>> others (storage and elrond) are simple servers running linux and
>> freebsd respectively. I am running mythbuntu 10.04 with myth 2.3-fixes
>> on the backend and two frontends.
>>
>> Currently under the old video system the files had to appear at the
>> same place in the file structure on backend and each frontend. So what
>> I ended up doing was mounting everything via cifs, viz;
>>
>> media (MBE)'s videos are in /var/lib/mythtv/videos/local
>> media also mounts storage and elrond's video directories as
>> /var/lib/mythtv/videos/storage and /var/lib/mythtv/videos/elrond
>> respectively.
>>
>> The remote frontends mount media's videos directory under
>> /var/lib/mythtv/videos/local and the two servers as
>> /var/lib/mythtv/videos/storage and /var/lib/mythtv/videos/elrond.
>> Therefore any frontend pulling a video from storage will be pulling it
>> over the network straight from storage to the frontend via cifs.
>>
>> If I want to move to storage groups I guess I can point a storage
>> group on media to /var/lib/mythtv/videos, but that will mean something
>> from storage going to a frontend will get from storage to media via
>> cifs, and then from media to the frontend via myth protocol, using
>> twice the network bandwidth.
>>
>> Alternatively I could make storage and elrond into SBE's with their
>> own storage groups but that is a major mission as they are old boxes I
>> haven't upgraded in years (they have no exposure to the intarweb).
>>
>> Any other suggestions? (I just re-read this email and while it is
>> clear enough to me, I just pray it is to others).
>
> Your email is perfectly clear ;)
>
>  Solution 3: just move all the video onto a drive on the master
> backend. That way your video is always available on any frontend, it
> only has to be streamed once, etc, etc.

Yes but I'll have to see what other drives I can fit in there. It
would no doubt save some power.  I must look at how many headers are
left on the motherboard. It already has two sata and two ide drives in
there (one IDE is a dvd drive). I know there are no more sata ports.
There is a spare PCIe slot which I assume could house a sata card.

If I wasn't such a magpie with media files I might have enough room....