[mythtv-users] OT: LED or Plasma (was Advice on choosing a TV)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue May 11 16:15:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
> Andre wrote:
>>
>> Ah, then you are a critical viewer, good ;-) also bad because you will
>> eventually see the problems that exist even on the finest most expensive
>> TVs.
>
> I can accept that. I just want to be reasonably sure I've chosen the
> flaws that will be least annoying to me.
>
> I think I'm coming to a decision. Last night watching my old CRT, it
> kept impressing me with its realism. I thing I'd really
> miss that. Armed with having had sight of the Panasonic G20 manual,
> I went back to the shop and turned off overscan. Did another side
> by side test between the LED and the Plasma. Still a little
> difference in sharpness, but less than I'd noticed before. And
> I'd image that some of that was because of the lower contrast
> that the Plasma could achieve in shop lighting: I notice my CRT
> looks loads sharper in a darkened room. It would make sense that
> low contrast would lesson the perception of sharpness.
>
> I want the Plasma, don't I? Tell me I want the Plasma... go on...
> go on! :-)
>
> Paul.

yes, get the plasma, I love my 50" Panasonic 1080p plasma, I've yet to
see any non-plasma monitors that looks as good, especially for fast
motion, color vibrancy and the illusion of depth. I have a lot of
friends with varying quality of LCD displays to compare it to and each
time I have to watch one I pat myself on the back for having gone with
plasma

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!