[mythtv-users] Comcast just made things worse

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue May 11 11:59:12 UTC 2010

Mike Perkins wrote:

>Note. Originally all UK TV was Band I and III VHF (II is FM).
>Everything was migrated to UHF round about the move to 625
>lines+colour (IIRC).

Close.
Originally, we had BBC and this new fangled commercial ITV on 405 lines B&W.
625 line PAL colour on UHF came along at the same time as BBC2 - and
BBC2 was only available on UHF. 405 line B&W carried on with parallel
running for some time while people replaced their sets, mostly
through natural replacement - so when it was eventually switched off,
there really wasn't a big outcry like there has been with the recent
analogue-digital switchover which was completely botched.

I still the remember the excitement as a young lad when we got our
first colour set in the house - and our old B&W set got moved
upstairs so we could watch things like TOTP* which parents didn't
care for.

* Top of the Pops, a weekly programme that gave a roundup of the
weeks record sales chart, with performances from selected bands, and
always finishing with the weeks number 1. These were always
**supposedly** played live, but there were occasional 'lip sync'
errors which suggested some miming !
And of course, mostly danced to by Pans People - probably what a lot
of young males watched for ;-)

--
Simon Hobson