[mythtv-users] Comcast just made things worse

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Mon May 10 20:42:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 08 May 2010 02:59:14 pm Douglas Peale wrote:
> > > Unusual to have adjacent channels in use in the same market. This was
> > > never done with analog assignments. Perhaps you are picking up stations
> > > from 2 different ADIs?
> >
> > I am situated between two markets, 7 & 8 are from different markets.
>
> That makes sense. Channel 7 may be running a lower-than-normal aural
> carrier
> level due to that situation, or may have been before  the digital
> changeover.
>
> Adjacent channels would never be assigned to the same market, and I think
> the
> same is true of digital stations as well.
>
> The makers would have to put decent front ends into their TV sets if this
> rule
> went away.

Sacramento, CA has channel 9 (KVIE, PBS) and channel 10 (KOVR, ABC).  KVIE
moved from channel 6; KOVR was always on channel 10 (both had temporary UHF
assignments that we actually received easier).  I know there's some
funkiness with the VHF channels, but I think 9 and 10 are truly "adjacent"?
Their transmitters are within a couple miles of each other (one nice thing
here is that all of the major stations are basically in the same direction)

Both come in pretty well with $10 rabbit ears on our new Sony HDTV, but KVIE
had some periodic watchability issues with the HDHomeRun until I installed a
$30 closeout round VHF+UHF antenna in the attic; it's great now.

Josh