[mythtv-users] "Watch Recordings" some frontends slow, some fast?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 10 02:33:54 UTC 2010

On 05/08/2010 07:07 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> actually, in playing around, I'm noticing that it looks to be the
> shows that don't have downloaded fan art for the background that are
> slow, as though mythfrontend is waiting for the image to download, and
> if there isn't one it just waits some period of time before becoming
> responsive again. So if I'm in a specific show with fan art for the
> background it moves between episodes fairly quickly, but if it's a
> show without, then it's very slow.

If you have your HOME (and, therefore $HOME/.mythtv ) directory mounted
over NFS, or if you have the Images Storage Group directories or the
MythVideo (local) directories (if you're not using Storage Groups)
mounted over NFS, make sure you're *not* configuring those mounts the
way we've recommended you configure your recordings directories (
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.9 ).  You need to
enable NFS file attribute caching on the Images/MythVideo directories.
So do /not/ use actimeo=0 or noac and make sure, if you do modify
actimeo or acregmin, acregmax, acdirmin, or acdirmax that you use
appropriate values (as can be found through trial/error if you really
feel you need to adjust them).  NFS defaults should be appropriate,
though.  You /definitely/ need at least actimeo=1, but higher is
probably better.

For the recordings directories, actimeo=0 is useful to allow Live TV to
work properly.  It will kill performance, though, if you use it on
Images/MythVideo directories.

Mike