[mythtv-users] Configure remote

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun May 9 03:46:25 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I have a Pinnacle remote, but I don't know how to configure. I
> don't find any info on MythTV wiki.
>
> This is my lirc config:
>
> cat /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
> # /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
> #
> # Arguments which will be used when launching lircd
> LIRCD_ARGS="-d /dev/input/event13"
>
> #Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
> #START_LIRCMD=false
>
> #Don't start irexec, even if a good config file seems to exist.
> #START_IREXEC=false
>
> #Try to load appropriate kernel modules
> LOAD_MODULES=true
>
> # Run "lircd --driver=help" for a list of supported drivers.
> DRIVER="devinput"
> # If DEVICE is set to /dev/lirc and udev is in use /dev/lirc0 will be
> # automatically used instead
> DEVICE="/dev/input/event13"

You're specifying device twice here. But I'd wager you're specifying
it wrong twice. More on this in a moment.

> I want to use the remote to navigate on the menu and change channels.
> Without any lirc configuration, the volume and numbers works great, I
> supose that is a Gnome work.

Not gnome. The linux input layer. Pretty sure your remote isn't
actually at /dev/input/event13 (might have been at one point in time),
and lirc isn't taking exclusive control over it, so all the keys
you're seeing are the native input layer ones that are properly
handled by mythtv and/or your desktop environment.

Better than using /dev/input/eventX for input layer devices is to use
/dev/input/by-id/<your-device's-unique-alias>, which gets dynamically
generated and pointed at the proper /dev/input/eventX device. (Having
event13 suggests you were either loading and unloading a device driver
repeatedly, and the device number kept bumping each time, or you have
a ton of input devices, and the more you have, the less likely they're
all going to be assigned device numbers in the same order every single
boot, as much of this stuff is done asynchronously).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com