[mythtv-users] Comcast bricked me above 33 so I bricked Comcast with my wallet

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat May 8 21:57:17 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:
> Ultimately, it comes to this:
>
> What if we all just canceled cable for a a couple of months.
>
> Everyone.
> Really.
>
> We can always say "no". I did without TV for years just find until my g/f
> twisted my arm to get just basic cable so she had something to watch.
>
> Otherwise, I would happily cancel as part of a revolt. I have plenty of
> other things to do to consume my time.
>
> All these things we complain about are from businesses selling entertainment
> (something we could do without unlike, say, food).
>
> A singular concerted effort would have amazing effect.
>
>  -Ben

My son is (hopefully) moving out in a month or two so my wife and I
feel very much the same. We both like to read. We get NetFlix so we
have lots of content. Maybe getting an OTA antenna and using my HDHR
makes some sense but I live in an area that isn't line of site so I
don't know what I'll really get here and didn't want to deal with it
right now. The DirecTV deal was good for the first year anyway.

Dumping Comcast just felt good. No - GREAT! They've treated us badly
as a community, and in my case their system has never worked well in
this house. Paying them less money just makes me feel better, and yes,
I probably have a bit of a degraded system from the old days with
unencrypted recording with the HDHR, but when that went away I decided
it wasn't worth it to me to pay them a penny more than I needed to
which is currently Internet and analog TV to ensure news access if for
some reason DirecTV goes down completely.

But that's just me...

Cheers,
Mark