[mythtv-users] optimize_mythtvdb.pl stalling on upnpmedia with backend running

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat May 8 17:54:18 UTC 2010

On 05/08/2010 12:47 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>   interesting thing going on. if mythtvbackend is running
> optimize_mythtvdb.pl "stalls" in the upnpmedia table, cpu time for
> mysql is zero (unlike on the other tables) and it will just sit there.
> If I stop running mythtvbackend then optimize_mythtvdb.pl runs fine.
>
> It also causes mythconverg_backup.pl to not actually do anything when
> running (the backup dump file stays at 0bytes and no cpu time is used
> by mysql). Again, if mythtvbackend isn't running it goes off without a
> hitch.
>
> anyone have any idea why this is occuring?

Sounds like something is locking the upnpmedia table.  A UPnP scan is
only done once every 30min by default, but configurable with the
mythtv-setup setting:

Upnp Media Update Time
The number of minutes between mythbackend checking for new videos to
serve via upnp. 0 = Off.

I could see the situation you're describing happening if something
causes a scan to take longer than 30min--i.e. symlink recursion or
something.

I'd recommend turning off the UPnP scan (master backend restart
required) and see if that "fixes" the issue.  If so, you should check
out what you have it scanning and look for some issues in it.

Alternatively, there may be more-critical issues with the table that
prevent its access--for example, missing binary data files, etc., that
can't be fixed with a REPAIR TABLE.  You can run mysqlcheck and see if
it gives you more info.

Mike