[mythtv-users] Comcast just made things worse

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat May 8 17:38:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Friday 07 May 2010 04:55:16 pm LuKreme wrote:
>> On 7-May-2010, at 11:12, Ross Campbell wrote:
>> > Who would have guessed a few years ago that we'd all be putting antennas
>> > BACK on top of our houses?
>>
>> We had our roof replaced in 2002. Chucked the antenna that was up there.
>>
>> Kicking myself now.
>>

> Don't kick too hard. It's likely that the antenna on your roof was for VHF, or
> maybe VHF/UHF. Today you want a UHF antenna (unless you live in the few
> markets that still use VHF).
>
> Though maybe you could have re-used the mounting hardware.

Is VHF really that uncommon after the switch to digital?  I'm in NJ
and the New York area has 7 (ABC) 11 (WB) and 13 (PBS), and the Philly
are has 6 (ABC) and 12 (PBS), all of which moved their digital signal
to their original VHF frequency as of the switch.  (God knows *why*
Philly ABC decided to use 6 which is known to be a really bad
frequency for digital...it works like crap just as expected.)

I've read of a whole lot of people who got burned before the switch
putting up UHF only antennas and finding out they needed a combination
after the switch.  I happened to buy a combination because I was still
picking up the analog channels...good thing.

Tom