[mythtv-users] Lirc broken again

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sat May 8 04:07:02 UTC 2010

> Odds are your problem is not the same as the one I just encountered
> (you are using a serial ir receiver and I was using the one that came
> with my pvr-350); however, it is possible.  Upgrading the kernel
> enabled a new lirc driver that took over /dev/lirc0 and I had to
> blacklist it.  You may want to do a lsmod |grep lirc to see if that is
> happening to you.  Here is the thread that explains more with Jarod's
> fix: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/434728?search_string=lirc;#434728

Yeah, I saw that post when I was trying to figure out how to fix this.
I don't think I've got the same issue that you had because I only have
these serial devices when I do lsmod, and these were the ones that
have always been loaded.

    # lsmod | grep -i lirc
    lirc_serial             9969  0
    lirc_dev               12341  1 lirc_serial

    # dmesg | grep lirc
    lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 249
    lirc_serial: auto-detected active high receiver
    lirc_serial lirc_serial.0: lirc_dev: driver lirc_serial registered
at minor = 0

I'm not really sure what to do with this one as it sounds like there's
a bug. Jarod's end comments on the post at
http://old.nabble.com/trouble-using-lirc-on-fc12-%28wrong-major-node-number-for-device-%29%60-td27540791.html
were "But you're the second person I've seen with this same problem.
I'll have to dig out some serial hardware and see if I can reproduce
the problem here".

If I revert to an earlier kernel version might that solve things at
least for now?

Regards,
Phill