[mythtv-users] MythTV to MythVideo, best and easiest solution for Mythbuntu 10.4?

Sven Bretfeld sven.bretfeld at gmx.ch
Fri May 7 21:26:05 UTC 2010

Hi Raymond and all others

Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> writes:

>> Is that only possible for new recordings? There must be any way to
>> change the storage group of an already existing recording. What if I
>> change my mind which recordings I want to group together? Where is the
>> storage group management?
>>

> You can specify a storage group for recording rules to use, and
> mythbackend will automatically record them there.  You can also move
> recordings around at will within a single host.  Mythbackend will
> search all available storage groups in an attempt to find a recording,
> even if it does not show up in the specified storage group.  There is
> no GUI or set of command line tools to shuffle recordings around
> automatically.

I see. I have just tested this. You are right, manually moving old
recordings works. I think, I'm on the right track now. My solution will
be as follows (just as a recapitulation for other users who find this
thread via a web search):

1. Set up a storage group 'Collection' for all recordings I want to
   keep.
2. Assign /var/lib/mythtv/collection to this group.
3. Use this folder as a mountpoint for a large disk (in my case a 1TB
   external drive, so I didn't need to reinstall).
4. Flag recording schedules of shows I want to keep to use this storage
   group.
5. Move old recordings, I want to keep, manually to this folder.
6. Eventually transcode the files to save disk space and to physically
   cut out commercials.
7. When backing up the system, I can only include the 'collection'
   folder, and leave alone the other trash I'm recording.

So, there is no need to transform recordings to MythVideo (as long as
you stay with MythTV).

Just one question remains. Is there a way to globally exclude this
storage group from expiring?

Thanks to all for your help.

Sven