[mythtv-users] OT: Advice on choosing a TV

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri May 7 20:36:41 UTC 2010

On 7 May 2010, at 16:07, Joseph Fry wrote:

> FWIW, I did do an "in-store" side-by-side comparison of a Samsung
> (PN50C550, which is the same as the PN50C540 but with an additional
> HDMI, AFAIU -- the 540 and 550 certainly share the same user manual) set
> and an LG (1080p plasma) and I just found the LG picture washed
> out/faded.  It didn't seem as brilliant as the Samsung picture.
>
> Thots?
> I find that most side-by-side picture comparisons are worthless.  Sure the LG looked washed out, perhaps they aren't over driving the color to make their set more appealing in the store (like most manufacturers do)... properly calibrated, it may actually be the better set.

I wouldn't buy from anywhere that won't let you adjust the TV the way you want it in the shop, I found recently that there were a few TVs that I couldn't set up reasonably (moderately accurately) any way I tried, also it's a good way to see how easy or horrible the controls are to use.

I calibrated a top of the range LG recently for a customer and I was surprised how much better it became, so much better than the shop settings, had to use the "expert" menus to get it away from awful. Although as soon as there was any significant motion in the picture it was juddering horribly and never found any way to reduce that, switched it for a Panasonic Plasma in the end.

Picture quality wise concentrate on motion portrayal, especially if buying an LCD, that's the area where there is the biggest difference between models. Watch some live sports, even if you hate sports it will show up which sets make a mess of anything in fast motion. Usually turning off all the "smooth motion" 100, 120, 200, 300, 600, 6000000hz  toys gives better results as the smooth motion software falls over quite often leaving a jarring mess.

Plasma, DLP, OLED are a whole 'nother game, most have very few motion problems, unless you are sensitive to DLP rainbows.