[mythtv-users] OT: Advice on choosing a TV

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri May 7 12:27:09 UTC 2010

OK.  So to wade into this OT pool, I to have set a particular price
point at which I will buy and trying to decide between a Samsung (what I
have come to understand is a "Series 5" set) PN50C540 and a Panasonic
(VIERA® U1 Series) TC-P50U1.  Both are 1080p plasmas with 1920x1080
native resolution.

The Samsung most definitely has more bells and whistles with DLNA, but
given that I am hooking up a Mythbox to it, perhaps those features are
not as important as they would be otherwise.  Although, I don't think
Myth, even yet, handles plug-n-play of, say, a USB stick with movies,
music and photos on it.  But I digress.

Anyone have any objective opinions on those two sets, or at least the
product lines they come from?

Or am I missing out on a completely different brand and/or option in the
same price range (C$1100)?

FWIW, I did do an "in-store" side-by-side comparison of a Samsung
(PN50C550, which is the same as the PN50C540 but with an additional
HDMI, AFAIU -- the 540 and 550 certainly share the same user manual) set
and an LG (1080p plasma) and I just found the LG picture washed
out/faded.  It didn't seem as brilliant as the Samsung picture.

Thots?

b.