[mythtv-users] Fwd: Re: Re: Recording Groups and Advanced Deletion idea...

Glen Hawksworth glenhawk at optusnet.com.au
Fri May 7 08:06:12 UTC 2010

> > Chris Adams <rocket at extremelan.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Glen Hawksworth
> > <glenhawk at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > Brilliant idea.
> > One usability thing: I'd go batty if I had to delete programs
manually
> > from every group.
> > Perhaps deleting from All Programs could be allowed, and that
deletes
> > the program from every group?
> > Probably ought to show the groups a program is in when the confirm
> > dialog appears.
> >
> > The private recordings feature sounds completely separate. You'll
have
> > an easier time doing the first bit if you worry about the second one
> > later :)

Yeah the private recordings idea was a side thought and the more I think
of it the more I see holes in the logic.
The deleting from each group thing shouldn't send you batty because you
would only care about your own group.
If the items you delete are in a different group it means someone else
wants to watch it as well.
If the item is in another group but that person never plans to watch it
then the recording rule should have been deleted from their group.
***brain fart***
Just realised there is a flaw in the logic if everyone watches the show
together
Adapted plan:
When you select "delete" you get the following options
"Yes, & allow rerecord"
"Yes, for me & others"
"Yes, just for me"
"No, I've changed my mind"

If you select "Yes, for me & others" it asks "who else?" and displays a
list of groups to choose from.
As with my original proposal, it is only an idea. There are currently
only two people in my household and I already have moments when I wonder
if I should delete a recording or save it for my wife (and vice versa).
I have started getting mythTV to automatically mark shows as watched
which helps but put a third person in the mix and I'd be stuck again.
Allowing each user to have their own customised watch list and to tag
recordings for deletion once watched just makes sense to me.

I guess another way to do it would be to have a feature that allows
people to tag the recording as "watched by..." but I think that would be
messier because you still don't necessarily know who wants to watch it.

meh, who knows?
Glen

PS: I like the labels idea but I don't see much difference between
labels and my description of recording groups. I guess one benefit would
be that labels would allow my suggestion to be implemented without
having to modify the functionality of recording groups.