[mythtv-users] LipSync Issues with HDMI and 0.22

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Wed May 5 18:52:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> hi
>
> On 6 May 2010 02:03, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is a patch somewhere for mplayer that improves things. I would
> > have thought it made it to mplayer by now. Have you tried a recent
> > mplayer ?
>
> This was actually discussed on the mplayer distribution list just then...
> 24Hz playback is still troublesome in mplayer.
>
> The suggestion was to use the -speed 0.98 option

So basically, if I'm understanding, it's not an issue that new hardware
(GT220+ card and HDMI capable receiver) can solve?  It's obviously possible
to solve, as the PS3 does it (along with every other BD disc player).  I'm
not saying this in an accusatory manor.  On the contrary, the work that has
gone into making Myth and mplayer viable media players is astounding.  It
sounds like it's a hardware AND software issue.  I know there's a lip sync
protocol that is in HDMI 1.2+ ( I think it's 1.2).  I just assumed it was
all done on the HDMI side of things.  Sounds like that is not the case?