[mythtv-users] mythvideo rescan failing on frontend

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed May 5 15:46:24 UTC 2010

On 5/5/2010 11:25, Phil Wild wrote:
> I have been having a problem on my frontend where when I initiate a
> rescan inside mythvideo from the menu, the front end crashes.

If you crash, do you get a core dump?  If not, could you bump up your
dump limits so you do get a core file?  A backtrace from that, and
possibly your logs, would go a long way to diagnosing an issue.

> It is a band-aid approach but I just thought I would share this as it
> has fixed my problem.

The MythVideo scanner in MythWeb is somewhat broken.  In 0.22, it was
not capable of scanning storage groups.  In 0.23, it will only scan
storage groups, but it only scans on the local machine, and it doesn't
use the new hash value which can cause problems elsewhere.

> Perhaps there is a better way of automating this, but the above does
> work fine for anyone else having the same issue or just wanting to
> automate it.

JAMU includes a scan that also only scans the local machine, but it
inserts proper video entries.  The python bindings will perform a full
remote scan, as detailed with this script
(http://mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_video_scan.py) which does that along with a
crude metadata lookup.