[mythtv-users] HDMI to Component/Composite/VGA

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 5 13:42:55 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 05 May 2010 07:30:02 am Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> On 2010-05-05 15:01, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 May 2010 06:47:18 am James Klaas wrote:
> >> This looks like an interesting tool to use with the HD-PVR if you only
> >> have HDMI output from your converter box.
> >>
> >> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37081
> >
> > A potentially very useful device, especially if the cable companies get
> > their wish and are allowed to turn off component outputs.
>
> Isn't that un-american and almost criminal to use?
> You avoid HDCP! You can't do that!
>
> If you disagree, please call your representatives to get the laws changed.

Upon thinking about it, "compliant" most likely means it will not convert
protected content.

I don't see how this device could be sold if it allowed the circumvention of
HDCP.

Is HDCP circumvention illegal? Yes, UnAmerican? No. Remember that the USA was
founded by criminal smugglers, bootleg rum makers, tax evaders, tea thieves
and other associated lawbreakers.