[mythtv-users] Is there a 0.23 "live" preview available in recording screen ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 5 13:28:06 UTC 2010

On 05/05/2010 08:01 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 08:19 +1000, Christopher Kerr wrote:
>
>> Nah, it still hasn't been rewritten for MythUI. I suspect it's a long
>> way down the priorities list, since it's not actually very useful, it
>> just looks cool.
>>
> It is actually useful.  Sometimes (not as infrequently as one would wish
> for) the #$@%^ networks play a re-run episode and don't identify the
> episode but instead just provide the "generic" description for it (so
> myth, of course, records it -- and yes, I know there is a setting to
> turn that off -- not interested thanks).
>
> The live preview makes it easier to see which episodes are repeats of
> other episodes that one might have still unwatched without having to
> actually select the episode for playback (and then exit and select
> another, etc.).

Only if you're willing to watch a tiny little preview while you wait
through the before-the-show garbage, including commercials, that you
have to let play--since you can't skip around in a preview--then keep
waiting for it to "preview" some section of the show that's actually
recognizable, all to avoid hitting P and then Down or Left arrow (how
ever many times) to skip to a part you recognize.  :)

And this completely ignores all the preview video restarts that occur
due to changes to the recording (preview regeneration, etc) or due to
changes to the recording list or other recordings in the list.

Mike