[mythtv-users] OT: Advice on choosing a TV

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed May 5 12:46:23 UTC 2010

Paul Gardiner wrote:
>Sadly my old CRT (described by an engineer that once worked on it as
>from the sweet spot) has started producing slightly muffled sound.
>I'm thinking it might be time I moved to a flat panel. Is there any
>reason a MythTv buff might not want to use a Panasonic Viera?
>
>Content is still going to be almost entirely PAL SD 576i for some
>time, but I'd like to be ready for HD which is starting to be
>rolled out via UK Freeview.

What size ?

When I was looking at buying a TV specifically to use as a monitor
(the large size & low resolution was an important factor), Panasonic
told me that none of their 26" TVs support full pixel mode. Without
full pixel mode, you cannot feed it a signal via DVI/HDMI which is
already pre-scaled to fit the display panel and have the TV "just
display it" - it will resample the image to oversize it, and then
crop the outside to remove overscan.

--
Simon Hobson