[mythtv-users] OT: Advice on choosing a TV

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Wed May 5 11:07:08 UTC 2010

Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Sadly my old CRT (described by an engineer that once worked on it as
> from the sweet spot) has started producing slightly muffled sound.
> I'm thinking it might be time I moved to a flat panel. Is there any
> reason a MythTv buff might not want to use a Panasonic Viera?

No reason whatsoever!

> Content is still going to be almost entirely PAL SD 576i for some
> time, but I'd like to be ready for HD which is starting to be
> rolled out via UK Freeview.
>
> Any advice appreciated.

I have a 42" plasma Viera Full HD (TXP42S10B), and am very happy
with it. Upscaling of SD Freeview is brilliant, and it even does a
reasonable job of the poor bitrate channels. Good bitrate channels
look great.

Mythtv plugs in via HDMI (not vdpau, but working on that), and sound
is also sent via HDMI, although I initially set it up with analog
stereo audio as alsa didn't support it for my card at the time (but
does now).

DVDs also look great, upscaled from an oldish dvd player via scart.

Not gone HD yet, either for Freeview or Virgin Cable, or Bluray, but
will look into it sometime.

HD material from other sources looks fantastic.

http://www.plasmatvreviews.org.uk/panasonic-plasma-tvs/panasonic-viera-txp42s10b-plasma-tv/

(that's just the first google page that looked useful, there's lots
of info around!)
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop
for all manner of hand crafted items,
including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts