[mythtv-users] How to ensure STB is on

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Wed May 5 05:37:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Christian Szpilfogel <chrisznews4 at rogers.com
> wrote:

>>> Interesting. It is probably more accurate to say what ever you tell the
> STB to do, it responds with "on". It is interesting to me that it is
> responding at all. If it wasn't you would get an error like : "Command
> Failed, No Response".
>
> If it is properly responding to the "on" command then that is fine just not
> ideal in terms of minimizing delay. If it is toggling then that would be a
> little weird but hey! most of these STB's have quirks.
>
> The spec is at:
> http://s2i.das.ufsc.br/docs/s2igrab/s2igrab/apostilas/Doc1998001.pdf
> Check out section 9.1 (p.38) for the actual rules (specified in 1998).

Ah, that is excellent.  Now I can understand how the commands are formatted.
 Using Mike's suggestion of the root menu, I was able to use his code to
reliably always set the STB to an on state.  The command used is 00487C09.
 So control command, subunit type 9, subunit id 0, pass through (7C),
operand root menu (9), followed by a second quadlet set to 0.

I was unable to get a status that different between when the unit was on and
when it was off.

> I'm completely jammed for a while but if you want to make code suggestions
> that have worked for you, I will merge them in (with credit of course).
>
> I've discovered most of these unit commands and the panel commands by
> poking at the STB with properly structured commands but at some point I will
> have to get a proper ieee1394 dev package (suggestions welcome) so I can
> more efficiently interact with the device and ask it important things like
> "What do you support" :). Ideally, I would like to improve on this code by
> adding in the suite of "panel" commands which would be very useful.

I was able to google a version 3.0 of that document, which has sections on
descriptors and commands for obtaining them.  Looks like this might allow
you to enumerate subunits and discover other info about them.  At this point
I haven't had a chance to read that section carefully.

-Jerry