[mythtv-users] Upgraded system and now lirc won't work

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue May 4 04:19:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I just upgraded my fedora 12 system using yum update.  Along with the
> new myth packages, I also had a lot of system upgrades including my
> kernel to 2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686.  After doing a reboot, lirc won't
> work (version lirc-0.8.6-6.fc12.i686).
>
> I believe lirc is loading.  I see this in dmesg:
> [root at localhost ~]# dmesg |grep lirc
> lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 249
> lirc_it87 00:0c: lirc_dev: driver lirc_it87 registered at minor = 0
> lirc_it87: found IT8712.
> lirc_it87: I/O port 0x0310, IRQ 5.
> lirc_it87: Installed.

lirc_it87 only recently gained auto-loading support. You apparently
have an it87 device in that box. I'm guessing that previously, that
driver wasn't loading.

> lirc_i2c: chip 0x0 found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
> i2c ir driver 1-0018: lirc_dev: driver lirc_i2c registered at minor = 1

lirc_i2c is loading second, so the IR you want to talk to is
/dev/lirc1 instead of the default device. The config you posted later
in this thread is using defaults, which will connect to /dev/lirc0,
not /dev/lirc1. Blacklist lirc_it87 and reboot (so lirc_i2c is the
only ir device driver loaded) or point your config at device
/dev/lirc1 and you should be back in action.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com