[mythtv-users] trouble with second HD-PVR [SOLVED]

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Mon May 3 14:13:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 13:50 -0700, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>

>> Although you don't mention it I presume that you've tried swapping the
>> new one in the existing one's place and running it solo.
>
> I didn't think of that but it would have been an excellent diagnostic
> tool.
>
> It turns out that the problem is that I didn't have the SPDIF cable
> connected, because I didn't have an extra optical cable. My tests in
> Windows were video-only, it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't work in
> Linux without the sound cable attached, but that is what I see. As soon
> as I connected the optical cable, it started working.
>
> The problem I have now is that every time the system reboots, I have to
> unplug the firewire cable on the second cable box, cycle the cable box
> power, and plug the firewire cable back in. Otherwise only one of the
> two cable boxes shows up under "plugreport", and obviously then channel
> changing on the second box does not work (and therefore any recordings
> scheduled on the second box will fail). Once I have it recognized in
> firewire, it works fine (until the next reboot...)
>
> --Greg

I have this issue with only 1 STB on firewire. If I lose power the STB
can either not be in plugreport or it can jump nodes. I hesitate to
hook up another box under firewire since if they switched nodes I'd
need some sort of logic to detect that. I'm not sure it's worth the
trouble and I dont' need a secondary backend (at this time). I can
hardly watch everything I'm recording now. It would be nice to have a
STB dedicated for Live Tv since there's no foreseeable end to my other
half's browsing habit.

But I do need to get a UPS for my MBE and STB to try to avoid these
node jumps with the DCX-3200 STB on firewire.

-Johnny