[mythtv-users] VDPAU 9300 vs 9400 ?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon May 3 12:47:03 UTC 2010

On 03/05/2010 00:43, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 2 May 2010 23:59, Ed W<lists at wildgooses.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> According to the wiki here:
>>     http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
>>
>> There is a difference between the MB cpu's 9300 and 9400?  More curiously it
>> appears to suggest that the 9300 is a featureset (B), versus the 9400 (A)?
>>

> the 9400GT is feature A.
> The 9400M (ion) is feature B. It's part of the nvidia controller

Oh I see.  So the ION is actually even better than it looks!

I have the Asus ION board with PCI here and testing it now (my main
system melted a few days ago, hence been without a system since we last
corresponded...).  I'm finding it a bit hit and miss though... If I can
get VDPAU working everywhere then it should be adequate, but because
it's also my backend I'm seeing stalls here and there when stuff happens
and some glitches in playback.  Also the frontend is quite "sluggish" -
eg entering the music or media screens takes quite a few seconds before
the list appears (I believe our UI widgets still need to be populated
before they can display? Seems to create quite some lag on slow systems
where there is a lot of stuff in the list?).  The music visualisations
are also quite stilted...

So I'm back on the hunt for a beefier system.  I was about to buy the
Gigabyte, but now wondering if I need something beefier like a fanless
gforce 240**...

Can you get flawless full quality 1080P playing with all formats on your
box?  Did you ever measure full power draw on your machine - I'm
wondering if I can get away with a Pico-PSU 150..? Can then get rid of
all the fans, etc...

Cheers

Ed W