[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu frontend problem and log file location

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun May 2 21:11:20 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Jason Ward <jasonfward at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone with other ideas or help?
>
> On 30 April 2010 23:45, Jason Ward <jasonfward at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 30 April 2010 23:25, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Jason Ward <jasonfward at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> >

>>> If you are having to create directories that should be there, I am
>>> wondering if you are getting everything installed. Are you using the
>>> mythbuntu CD or are you installing ubuntu then putting mythbuntu on
>>> top of it?
>>>
>>> If the latter, what exactly did you install? It should be
>>> mythbuntu-desktop, if you install that then everything else should be
>>> brought in as a dependency.
>>>

>> It's the Mythbuntu 10.04 CD image I downloaded last night from here
>> http://www.mythbuntu.org/10.04/release
>> I've been looking at the errors reported in log, it reminds of a Unix
>> system I was supposed to install many years ago (circa 1989) that would
>> install and run until it was switched off.  On powering back on the system
>> would claim various random system components were not installed.  After much
>> digging and talking to Compaq tech support (and about 1 month in time) it
>> turned out that if you had a particular Compaq Machine, with a particular
>> BIOS version, with a particular Conner hard drive, with a particular
>> firmware version and you just happened to install the flavour of Unix with a
>> particular file system that I was installing, then after a cold boot there
>> was an error that in effect randomly deleted files.
>> The reason that comes to mind, is because I have had the system working,
>> and then whilst I do nothing notable, it stops working.
>> Maybe I should try a different distro?  Any suggestions on which?
>> Jason

Is your machine getting the same IP address and hostname every time it
boots? A mythbackend really needs a fixed IP. You can do that from the
machine's setup OR you can tell your DHCP server to give it the same
address every time. Many settings are based on hostname, and by the
look of your initial email you are getting different things happening
each time you boot - an indication you might not be getting the same
settings each time.