[mythtv-users] Suddenly no audio

Mark Adams madams9 at gmail.com
Sat May 1 18:08:01 UTC 2010

On 04/30/2010 11:28 PM, Mark Adams wrote:
> Okay, I've gone from acceptable but low volume to silence.
>
> Mandriva ran a bunch of updates through today and now I get audio
> everywhere but MythTV.  I repeat: everything (VLC, mplayer, Amarok,
> Audacious2, everything) plays audio just fine except for MythTV. They
> even play mpeg files recorded by MythTV with audio just fine.  I have
> been though the settings methodically changed them over the past two
> hours in an effort to fix it via trial and error and I have gained
> nothing.
>
> Pulse audio is no longer running. And I've done everything I can think
> of or find by Googling the issue.  I'm very frustrated.  I have no
> idea where to go from here.  Here are the current (default) settings
> that worked until this evening:
>
> Audio Output Device: ALSA:default
>
> Passthrough Output Device: Default
>
> Mixer Device: ALSA:default
>
> Mixer Controls: Master
>
> Volume controls in MythTV are at 95%.
>
> Here is the hardware info from lshw:
>
> *-multimedia
>              product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio
> Controller
>              vendor: Intel Corporation
>              physical id: 1b
>              bus info: pci at 0000:00:1b.0
>              version: 01
>              width: 64 bits
>              clock: 33MHz
>              capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
>              configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
>              resources: irq:16 memory:f96fc000-f96fffff
>

> I would really appreciate some help here.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mark

Some additional info.  Aplay -L yields the following:

$ aplay -L
default:CARD=Intel
     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
     Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
     Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
     HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Digital
     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null
pulse
     PulseAudio Sound Server

How can I configure MythTV to use this sound device?  Again, everything
else produces audio from these files just fine by default.  Why does
MythTV have to be so difficult about it?

I would really appreciate some assistance on this.

Mark