[mythtv-users] How would you handle the kids leaving Live Tv on all the time?

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sat May 1 16:41:04 UTC 2010

On 5/1/2010 9:30 AM, Rick wrote:
> On 05/01/2010 09:46 AM, Nicolas Will wrote:
>> On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 09:25 -0400, Rick wrote:
>>> I was wondering if there is a way to "time out" live tv viewing after
>>> say X hours ? With the recent Comcast switch to digital, the only
>>> real
>>> way we can watch tv is using Myth. (That's because Myth has the
>>> tuners). The kids are not in the habit of exiting the live tv screen
>>> before they turn off the tv. Is there some way I can prevent Live Tv
>>> from endlessly recording?
>>
>> I use a Logitech remote. The OFF button runs a macro that turns the TV
>> off and exits live TV, or whatever was playing, returning to the home
>> screen.
>>
>> Works pretty well.
>>
>> Nico

> That's a cool approach... except I don't currently have a remote I can
> do that with. :) Is there something that can be done from within Myth or
> the system Myth runs on?
>
> One thing I was wondering ... could maybe the event system be leveraged
> that would set a timer and then when the timer expires it could send the
> command to exit live tv? Is that possible?

It is possible that you could write a program/script to do this. It
could use the telnet control interface to determine the current state of
the frontend. Were the frontend not at them main menu, then it could
remember/record this and return the frontend to the main menu were the
time not in the main menu too long. Of course, as this script would be
time rather than event driven, it is could cause your frontend to return
to the main menu when someone is using it.