[mythtv-users] OT: Audio components

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 22:27:31 UTC 2010

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but this seems like a good place to ask a
general A/V question, and the answer to my question could be relevant to
Myth users:

I'm trying to design an audio system for a restaurant, and they want 3 zones
of mono sound.  I'm looking for something that I could input stereo audio,
and output 3 mono signals that combines the stereo input from a netbook
running iTunes.  I'm planning to use 3 "V-12M Muting Wall Mount Volume
Control" units from (
http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=37244640&source=ecostdeal&cm_mmc=CSE-_-Shopping.com-_-ecostdeal-_-Electronics)
to independently adjust the volume in the three zones (back room, front
room, outside).  My plan is to find a home theater 5.1 surround system that
I can set to output a mono signal to at least 3 of the channels, and then
run them through the independent volume control units.  This is just
background music, so absolute quality isn't a requirement, as long as it
provides a reasonably clean signal (I'm not looking for insane audiophile
level quality, something equivalent to the audio played from a TV for
example, just no obvious noise that would be noticed in a loud dining
room).

Is my approach reasonable?  Any obvious holes in my plan?  Is there any
magic product I can find that would do this all from one unit for a
reasonable price (a price comparable to a low end 5.1 surround sound
receiver)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh