[mythtv-users] viewer falls asleep with the EPG open - plasma burn in concerns

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 31 22:23:46 UTC 2010

On 03/31/2010 06:11 PM, Johnny Walker wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> I don't know why xdg-screensaver isn't working.  I haven't done thorough
>> testing of it, yet--which is actually a much harder problem than writing the
>> code, so I'm /really/ glad you're working it for us!  :)
>>
> What I see happening is that the xscreensaver is kicking in and the
> ant appears on the screen. Keypresses on the remote (pause and play)
> don't always clear it. When I sent 'xdg-screensaver reset' the ant
> stopped walking - I was still able to hear the video playing - but
> nothing removed the ant from the screen. I'm guessing the ant was on
> top of the stack and nothing was clearing, removing or painting over
> it.

That means that it worked.  You were using a chromakey video renderer
(like Xv) and because someone had painted over the color key, you will
never get any more video until someone redraws the window with a solid
color key.  You can do this by triggering a repaint (switch desktops
from then to the one with the video window or obscure the entire video
output window then uncover it).

> Now 'xdg-screensaver reset' works as expected when the xscreensaver is
> active and we're on the Watch Recordings screen.
>
> There's probably no real problem here as long as the screensaver isn't
> set at 1 min. That's the only way I've seen so far to have the
> screensaver appear over running video.

I'm sure this was all just testing, but remember that you don't want to
just use xdg-screensaver reset if you're coding up the xdg-screensaver
support.  We want to use the suspend/resume support.

Thanks,
Mike